Friday, October 21, 2011

Spreading the News/JDRF

Last week I got some amazing news that I couldn't wait to share...But since "real" life often gets in the way of blog posting, I had to wait until I got caught up on everything before I could post anything.  Now that I have a break in my workload (but not my personal life!), I decided I better take advantage of it and get to writing!

This past Thursday, I received a call from my CDE while I was at work.  After some catching up, she told me that the Panhandle Branch of the JDRF, based in Amarillo, was trying to expand awareness into other areas around the Texas Panhandle.  She said they had an opening on the board, and was wondering if I would be interested in taking the position since I live in a small town in the surrounding area and because she thought I would be a good fit for the "job."  She told me that they had a board meeting that day and that after she brought up my name for nomination and they voted on it, she would let me know something.  After I got off the phone with her, I couldn't help but tear up as I was telling my mom about it...Not only do my pregnancy hormones have me in tears more often than not these days, I was just so honored that she would think of me for something so special!

I am incredibly excited for the opportunity to be involved in raising diabetes awareness, especially on such an awesome level for someone as relatively young as I am (at least I think 23 is still considered "young" these days!).  I had always told my family that I wished I could become a CDE in order to help people in our area manage their diabetes better, but since that requires prior experience as a nurse/psychologist/dietician/etc., there is no way that it would be an option for me--at least not anytime in the near future.  As a local JDRF board member, I will be able to be a part of diabetes education, outreach, and fundraising while still maintaining my regular job, which is something I didn't think would ever be possible.  I was already planning on writing an article for the local paper in November for American Diabetes Month, but now I can do it in a more "official" capacity!

This morning I got a call from the two of the ladies from Panhandle JDRF welcoming me to the board and filling me in on the details about what's to come.  They want to organize some school walks around the area, and I'm ready to get involved!  The next few months are going to be busy ones for me (especially since we only have around 14 weeks or so before our little princess is here!), but I know that God usually gives us these kinds of opportunities when we least expect them, and it's up to us to take advantage of them.  I would have never in a million years let this pass me by, and I am so grateful to everyone involved for giving me the chance!

Before I go, I wanted to share the link to the Artificial Pancreas Petition for the JDRF.  If you haven't already signed it (or heard of it), I would encourage you to follow the link to find out more!  This is the biggest advance in diabetes technology in our lifetime, and it has the potential to change lives--so needless to say, it's very important that the FDA approves it.  It only takes a minute, but it will make a big difference in the lives of those with diabetes!

JDRF Artificial Pancreas Petition

0 comments:

Post a Comment