Friday, January 7, 2011

Finally, Answers(ish)...

In my last post, I told you about the challenges and triumphs I've had since I was diagnosed with diabetes.  My numbers had been high again despite being on oral medication and counting my carbs, so I was anxious to see my endocrinologist to gain some insight and get some answers.

Wednesday, I (finally) had my appointment, and it turns out that I'm much harder on myself than my doctor is.  I suppose he sees very high numbers every day, but I still would like for mine to be within the normal range of a person without diabetes...or at least, that's what I'm aiming for.  My husband and I have started to discuss when we think we'll be ready to have a baby, so it's super important to me for my diabetes to be well controlled. 

The lab results from my last visit indicated that I may have slow-onset Type 1 diabetes rather than the initial diagnosis of Type 2...no surprise there, because that was exactly what I'd been expecting.  My doctor was going to continue treatment as we had been (Janumet, a combination of Januvia (sitagliptin) & Metformin, 50 mg, 2x daily); however, I told him that I wanted to go ahead and start insulin therapy since we might want to start a family in the near future.  I want to be able to get comfortable with using insulin before pregnancy, and since our insurance begins its new year on March 1st, I want to get started with the pump very soon as well.

I wasn't sure how my doctor would react to my request, but he pulled out a referral form right then and wrote the orders for me to get insulin and pump training.  He told my mom, who had been sitting in the waiting room, that I was "very motivated."  I guess he probably doesn't get many patients who actually want to go on insulin!  I called that afternoon to make the appointment, so I go next Friday to the same CDE I saw for my consultation prior to the diabetes education class I took to get started on insulin.  She's also a pump trainer, so I'm hoping it will be a one shot deal (no pun intended =) ) Either way, I really like her and respect her knowledge, so I'm definitely looking forward to learning from her.

It seems like my body is responding better since my appointment due to the simple fact that I'm less stressed than I was prior to it.  My lymph nodes on my neck were swollen to the point that they were painful, and now they're back to normal.  My BG numbers have even been slightly better.  It never ceases to amaze me how much stress affects your body!

At this point, I guess I'm just waiting for next Friday (one week!), and trying to figure out which pump would suit me best.  I think I'm still leaning towards the Animas Ping, but who knows what will happen between now and then!

0 comments:

Post a Comment