Sunday, November 28, 2010

Storing Supplies

Week 4: GIVE
Sunday, November 28


Storing Supplies – Sometimes having diabetes means you have to carry a lot of supplies or organize different types of medications. Pockets, purses, glove compartments, hands – what do you use to be sure you’re prepared?

Since I've had diabetes, my purse has gotten a lot heavier! Not only do I carry my blood glucose meter & all of its supplies anytime I'm not at home, but I also carry my calorie/fat/carb guide everywhere so I'm prepared to plan my meals wherever I am. For the past couple of weeks, I've also had to carry a pill box with my Janumet in it to take with breakfast and supper. In addition to all of that, I also carry fast-acting glucose tablets and extra medication in case I forget to put my pill box in my purse.

I have two extra BG meters, so I'm planning on bringing one with me to keep at work, because I've forgotten to put it in my purse in the morning at least once, and I happened to have a low that day.

Traveling is also made more difficult, and I'm not even on insulin (which requires refrigeration). I forgot to pack ketone urine test strips the last trip my husband & I took, and I ended up dealing with my highest BG reading I'd had to that point. When my mom & I went to the Diabetes Ed. Class & Health Fair, I thought I had packed enough test strips but ran out that night. I couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for a new box when I had one at home & could get them for next to nothing through my insurance. Luckily, the representative for Abbot was at the health fair, and he gave me several sample boxes of test strips because he felt bad that I had bought the Freestyle Freedom Lite meter kit thinking it included a box of strips like the Bayer meters did (it didn't).

One thing I've come to realize through all of this is that although diabetes makes everyday life and traveling more difficult, things always work out somehow in the end. People who understand what you're dealing with are eager to help and give you the encouragement you need to get through the more challenging days. Having diabetes has underscored how God takes care of us, especially when we need it most!

0 comments:

Post a Comment