Monday, November 15, 2010

"Mouthwatering Monday" - Favorite Snack

Week 3: LEARN
Monday, November 15

 “Mouthwatering Monday” – Carrot sticks and potato chips have a similar crunch, but the similarities end there. What’s your favorite snack?

Without a doubt, my favorite snack is Dippin Stix Sliced Apples & Peanut Butter.  I eat them at least once (if not twice) daily, and every time I go to Walmart, I stock up on them...I literally by every single one they have in the refrigerator section sometimes, because they don't always carry them!

They're wonderful because they're portable--presliced apples packaged with just enough peanut butter in a separate section to dip them in--and delicious; plus, they're a healthy and nutritious snack--a good balance of carbs and fiber (from the fruit), and protein (from the PB).  You do have to keep them refrigerated, but they hold up fine on a couple hour car ride as well.

I also love oatmeal.  I eat it just about every morning for breakfast, although I could eat it (and sometimes do) at any time of the day.  I've enjoyed trying all of the different flavors and varieties, and have been pleasantly surprised by the healthier whole grain versions.  Recently, I tried Kashi  Kashi Go Lean Honey & Cinnamon Whole Grain Oatmeal...My expectations weren't very high (only because it's definitely a healthy with a capital "H" food!), but I ended up loving it!  It has a distinct taste that is more cereal-like than most other oatmeals, but that gave it a little something extra.  It's especially wonderful on a cold day...I ate some just yesterday before going to church.

Some of my favorite oatmeal are of the "Fruit & Cream" variety, but they do have more added sugar, so I don't eat them as often and only when my blood glucose numbers are doing good.  A good alternative I've found are whole grain with fruit bits added...I can't remember off the top of my head what brand they are, but I've tried both the blueberry and cranberry kinds, and they're very good.  I'll try to take note of what brand they are and post it for you later.

Before I go, I thought I'd give you an update.  My BG has still been running high, though not quite as high as it was Friday.  I watched it very carefully over the weekend, and luckily it never went above 375 again--I was prepared to go to the ER if it went above 400.  I also checked my urine for ketones throughout the weekend to be on the safe side, and I was glad that I never had any.  Well, I better go, and I hope you have a wonderful week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment