Monday, November 29, 2010

"Mouthwatering Monday" - Leftovers

Bonus Days!
Monday, November 29

“Mouthwatering Monday” – How long did those Thanksgiving Day leftovers last? Leftovers can be a useful strategy in saving money and making your portions smaller, but many people don’t like them. How do you feel about leftovers?

We ate at my parents' house for Thanksgiving this year, so we didn't have leftovers at our house.  I'm sure my parents still have some left in their fridge, but it won't bother my dad--he was telling my husband that he looks forward to Thanksgiving because he can eat turkey sandwiches afterwards!

I've been out of college for a year and a half and out of my parents' house for almost five years, and I've still not mastered the art of cooking for one or two people...We almost always end up with leftovers, but that's fine with us.  Usually, whatever we don't eat one night at supper we eat the next day for lunch, and most of the time my husband and I both would rather eat those leftovers than go out to eat.

Tonight I made homemade ground beef and vegetable soup for supper, which was enough for 8+ servings.  I ate one bowl and my husband ate two, so we had plenty leftover.  While we were sitting there finishing up our meal, I had a "lightbulb" moment--I decided I would freeze half of the leftovers for a quick supper one of these nights when I don't have the time or energy to cook.  I freeze bread and meat all the time, but I've never frozen a whole entree before; however, I know that many people make twice as much at meals just so they can freeze half for later.

As long as it freezes well, I think that this strategy will work well for us because even though we actually don't mind eating leftovers, we always end up throwing away a lot of food.  I hate wasting food and abhor cleaning old food out the refrigerator, so I'm crossing my fingers that this new solution will be a good one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment