Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wrap Up - Last Day of American Diabetes Month 2010

Bonus Days!
Tuesday, November 30

Wrap Up – It’s the last day of American Diabetes Month 2010!  If you had to leave one lasting impression on people about diabetes, what would you say?

Wow, I can't believe this month is already over!  It seems like it's flown by, and then Christmas will be here before we know it.

If I had to leave one lasting impression on people about diabetes, I would say this:  Please care, please be an advocate, because you never know if you or someone you love will be affected by this disease.  I honestly never in a million years dreamed it would happen to me, and yet three months ago, I found myself having to deal with it firsthand. 

At the Diabetes Education Class I attended earlier in the month, one educator told us that 1 out of every 2 children born in 2010 will develop diabetes at some point in their lifetime if trends continue the way they are currently heading.  I don't know about you, but that's a pretty scary statistic to me.  I've shared with you all several times before that one of my biggest inspirations in effectively dealing with my diabetes is having healthy pregnancies and children in the future.  However, I don't know if I've told you that one of the biggest reasons I'm pushing diabetes awareness so hard is that I want my children to be able to grow up in a world in which diabetes has a cure.  I hope they never have to deal with this disease, but if they do, I hope that by that time there are better options for managing it. 

Science has made amazing advances in the field over the past decade, and advocacy is so important to ensuring that there is enough money for future research and progress.  Even if you can't give financially, I urge you to take action by getting involved in the diabetes awareness movement...Not just in November, but all year round!  Go to StopDiabetes.com for some great ideas on how you can become involved.  And for those of you who already are, thank you.  You may not see it now, but you are truly making a difference in the lives of those who live with diabetes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment